What does estrogen do?
What does estrogen do? Estrogen and weight gain are directly linked with each other. It means that with the increase in the level of estrogen, the body weight will also increase. Sometimes decreased level of estrogen may also bring about increase in the body weight. Estrogen weight gain is the main concern in our this article.
Let’s find what estrogen is.
What is Estrogen?
Estrogen is the one of the most important sexual hormone. It plays a significant role in the reproductive organs development as well as in pregnancy. It is basically a natural steroid. It is present in the female body in three naturally occurring forms, namely
Among these three hormones Estradiol is the major estrogen involves in reproduction or during years of reproduction. During menopause, the predominant circulating estrogen is the estrone. Estriol becomes predominant during pregnancy.
The major functions of estrogen as described below.
- Estrogen is mainly responsible for appearance of secondary sexual development.
- It enhances the growth of endometrial tissues as well as uterus.
- It speeds up the metabolism and stores more fat.
- Estrogen has also many beneficial effects on the vagina as it causes thickness of the vaginal wall as well as enhances its lubrication.
- It also maintains the integrity of skin and blood vessels. Its other major role is to increase the bone formation and decreases the bone resorption.
- Estrogen enhances the retention of salt and water.
- Estrogen plays a role in the synthesis of protein as well as hormones such as cortisol and melanin. Estrogen also increases the levels of circulating blood factors. It increases the levels of good cholesterol while decreases the levels of bad cholesterol.
- Estrogen plays a role in the ovulation. By inducing the luteinizing hormone, it can help in the process of ovulation.
- It supports pregnancy by preparing the uterine lining for implantation of the fertilized egg. Further period of gestation is maintained by estrogen as well.
These were the psychological effects of estrogen. Sometimes, estrogen levels increase in our body to a dangerous level. Then this estrogen produces problems. The most common effect of excess estrogen is the weight gain. This weight gain occurs because of its ability to stores fat. Estrogen weight gain is the chief apprehension among majority of women using birth control pills.
The excessive estrogen raises the growth of estrogen-sensitive factors, thus leading to increase deposition of bigger size of adipose tissues in different areas of the body, particularly the thighs, abdomen and waist. It may also cause increased fat deposition in the back of the arms.
Estrogen Weight Gain Causes
Some of the contributory factors that may increase the levels of estrogen, which, ultimately leads to weight gain are as follow:
Estrogen Containing Birth Control Pills
Different studies have shown that women who take higher doses of pills containing estrogen tend to suffer from weight gain. This weight gain is average of about 2 kg. Also, these pills cause fluid retention by directly stimulating the renin-angiotensin system. This system leads to salt and…